Truth in ME - introspection into my own self (Part-I)

Yesterday I was introspecting into myself and it seemed to lead to certain observation regarding myself. And since most human function in very similar pattern the findings of my introspection may be interpolated to the human society as a whole. 

I was thinking about my senses - firstly my eyes. They see things around. Also they are unable to see so many things. That was easy part. But then I thought - what if they mechanism of my eyes and its relations with brain are changed. Or say, the brain is little tweaked. The vision will change and I will see the same thing differently. It is also well known that different creatures see things differently. It is pretty simple to understand that without changing the 'object' being seen, changing the 'subject' that sees the object, the object changes. In practice, we don't say the object has changed. We say, our perception of the object has changed. This is due to the 'established reality'. 

By established reality, I mean to say, the description of the object that are taken to be granted. For example, if an apple is said to be red in colour, it means the majority of the people see the apple to be red. Even if some see a colour different than red, say orange, we generally discard their viewpoint stating their vision is impaired.

But if we introspect, as I stated above, our eyes and the object that we see are different and therefore what we see should depend on the object and us, who is the seer. If we accept this, then it will be easy to understand that what we see can not be relied upon because the appearance of the object depends on subject seeing the object.

So, the revelation here is that most vivid experience like colour and sound which we see and hear and experience all the time while awake seems to be dependent on us rather than the object which we seem to see and here. Without us the subject who see and hear the 'object', there is no colour and sound. Reversely said, we have created the colour and sound.

This realisation can be applied beyond the colour. If the 'seeing' depends upon the subject, then every aspect of vision, viz. colour, shadows, shape may be challenged whether they are showing us the reality as it is ? Isn't it true that shades, brightness and other such aspects of the image tells us the shape of an object. With an impaired vision that cannot see anymore, the colour, shadows, brightness etc. all disappear. Shape of the 'object' still remains as the shape can be observed by other sense like touch etc. I will discuss about that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment